Friday, December 09, 2016

Gray Rutherford on TI Design Review Panel's defence of the approval of the wall

To : Thesen Islands Homeowners Association Trustees

My brother Ken forwarded me Edu Lohann’s letter to yourselves dated 15/12/2015 asking for my comment as he knew that I was instrumental in the compilation of the Thesen Islands Guidelines.

Edu Lohann was not around at the time of the drafting of the TI Design Guidelines so I assume he was given his information by a third party.  The statement that the TI Design Guidelines were drafted by CMAI is incorrect.  I not only drafted the Guidelines but I produced and had printed the entire original document.  I also managed its updating until the time of my resignation as Chairman of the Design Review Panel in 2004.  Input during these processes were given by both CMAI and architects Smuts and de Kock.   An inspection of any edition of the Guidelines up to 2004 will show the name of my CC, The Fisch Group, at the top of the list of copyright holders of the Guidelines. 

These Guidelines were adapted for the Thesen Islands waterfront situation to a large extent from the Belvidere Estate Design Manual (still used today) which I compiled with Smuts and de Kock in 1987. The similarity  is obvious.  The TI Guidelines stayed true to the ethic of our Cape Colonial vernacular architecture, hence the description "Colonial Maritime".  The TI Guidelines are not an import, although they have aspects in common with British Colonial architecture in other parts of the world, such as Seaside in Florida, USA.

I note the New Urbanist and Seaside motivation for the P76 wall. This is interesting! Seaside does not allow private (walled) front yards!  Anywhere!   Also, although Thesen Islands has some aspects of New Urbanism it cannot be called a New Urbanist development.  The TI Guidelines were influenced by the Traditional Neighbourhood Development movement, and in particular the Seaside development in Florida, USA, which I visited for the first time in the early 1990's.  

When we were busy with the planning of Thesen Islands I urged Chris and Stef Mulder to visit Seaside, which they did.  We particularly liked the emphasis on pedestrian amenities and walkways, open spaces and building setbacks that facilitated contact between residents.  Picket fences along public boundaries are a major contributor to this community.  The approval of the P76 wall is therefore a surprising contradiction.

Most fundamentally the high P76 wall violates the Thesen Islands Design Concept promoting community.  This should be the first test of a new design proposal before any detail is considered.

Gray Rutherford   29th June 2016


No comments:

Post a Comment