Sunday, May 12, 2019

Why I do not want to be on the "Bulk Committee" or be a Trustee


Mark Stemmett, who on the "Bulk Committee" asked me why I had not offered to serve on the same committee. He also suggested I stand for election as a Trustee at the next AGM, probably in early 2020. As I have been asked these questions before, I have posted my reply here: 

Dear Mark,

I did not offer to serve on the bulk committee for two reasons:

Firstly, as I said in detail in my first submission, I have a suspicion that the committee is a bone tossed to the homeowners to make us feel that we have some input. That the trustees are still committed to forcing through this bulk increase. Unless, maybe,  the report that the committee gives to the trustees is unequivocal in its rejection of the bulk increase and the uproar from the owners is such that they cannot ignore it.  

But then the trustees have shown great capacity for ignoring the input of owners. It was clearly demonstrated at the AGM in January 2019. But I live in hope as I have put faith in the committee members, hence my submissions.

Secondly, if I was appointed to the committee, I would repeat that I reject the increase in bulk. The in’s and out’s of why I am against it is  spelt out in my emails to the HOA and repeated on my blog, as well with the opinions of others which should be taken note of. I included links to these in my first submission.  So why sit in meetings to repeat myself?  

As to standing as a Trustee, let me say this. Like with the previous trustee’s plan to build houses in the Parkland, I have been forced to make a public stand of an opposing viewpoint. I do this not because I want to be in the public eye but because someone needs to stand up and give the opposing view to, at least, a few other owners. 

The trustees only advance justifications for their decision. And complain of being “attacked” when someone disagrees with them.  Or try to ban them from the AGM.  And as they control the email addresses, only their viewpoint is widely heard.  Even the discussion at the AGM is reduced to 2 sentences in the HOA Minutes.

It is unfortunate that we appear to have some trustees with very poor judgment, some who use their position to advance their own interests and maybe some who will not publicly disagree. Being a trustee ( “on the inside” as you say) hasn’t been of any help to the majority of owners on this issue, has it? Every decision that comes out is reported as a unanimous decision.  And they refuse to share the minutes of their meetings with owners, as required by the Constitution.   Not one trustee has stood up and said they disagree. It is a code of silence. Forced or unforced.

So why be a trustee if you cannot voice your own opinion outside of the HOA offices? Even you as a member of the bulk committee are sworn to silence. So I become a trustee or committee member and first I must sign an oath of silence? How is that going to help anyone except the trustees wanting to increase the bulk? 

Being on the outside means I am my own man. I am not gagged. (Although I do not believe for a moment that a trustee or committee member who spoke out would suffer anything other than praise from most fellow owners.)  Why this need for secrecy? It is only a Home Owners Association!

All owners have a responsibility to monitor decisions taken by the trustees and protest those with which they disagree. To be involved in the running of Thesen Islands. The trustees are meant to represent the interests of the owners, engage with the owners on major issues and be open and transparent.   Not make major decisions in secret and then refuse to share their discussions.  The idea that if you are not a trustee you should not criticise doesn’t hold water but it is often put out by those “on the inside” and others to try to shut critics up. And it often works.

Owners write and tell me they support my stance and make solid arguments against the bulk increase, but when I suggest that I put their letter on my blog, they mostly decline. Most are even fearful to write to the HOA! Is this a healthy environment? Of course, not.  

Yes, for me, it would be less stressful and time consuming simply to write a private letter to the HOA and be done with it. But on this bulk increase scam that, if allowed, brings risk to residents, destroys the peaceful lifestyle every workday and will change the feel of Thesen Islands for ever, I have no choice but to stand up publicly.

Ideally, we should have a majority group of trustees who are not wanting to use their position to make money or for personal benefit but to help steer Thesen Islands for the benefit of the majority of owners. In an open and transparent way.  But we don’t. So we have this unpleasant fight.

Finally, I am kept busy running my US based business which services customers worldwide. In different time zones, of course.  By the way, I have served as a trustee. In the early years I was a trustee representing the TIDC.   



1 comment:

  1. Anonymous3:00 pm

    I don't blame you for not wanting to be grouped. Trustees who have stood up against certain decisions have received shocking treatment.

    ReplyDelete